Pages

Monday 12 October 2009

The Sea-Wreck Stranger by Anna MacKenzie

This book isn't what I considered my kind of genre, but I decided to give it a go and was relatively pleased. So it begins with a young girl named "Nessie" who lives on a remote island who had experienced a terrible past with the ocean involving disease and death, ever since the people have been scared of the sea. Nessie and her brother Ty are both orphans, her mother and father both victims of this disease. They live with their aunt and uncle who aren't very pleasant people and live on a farm similar to our world's; milking, beef etc. One day Nessie and Ty decide to go for a peaceful walk on the beach and find a stranger washed up on the shore, they know that he is not from the island and acknowledge that he will die if they leave him there or tell anyone so they hide him in a cave. For weeks the children feed him and take care of his injured leg and another child their age finds out and pretty much dobs them in. People find out and the island people are worried about what this stranger will bring.

As I said, not my genre but it is a light and interesting read. Suitable for ages 10 and up, I enjoyed the concept but I wasn't too sure about how it was written. Not a very well-known author and I think it is only published in Australia and New Zealand. 3 stars.

No comments: